Detailed Language Proficiency
- I am a native speaker of Hebrew. I have completed my undergraduate degree in Hebrew.
- I am a near-native speaker of English. I have pursued my graduate degrees in the United States.
- I am a fully proficient user of Arabic. During my high school years, I took undergraduate classes in Arabic philology at Tel Aviv University. In 2019, my proficiency was ranked Superior in an ACTFL OPI+ exam. I passed Yale’s Arabic translation exam, which included both classical and Modern Standard passages. I have taught Arabic for the Israeli government.
- I am a fully proficient user of Russian. I have taken a post-advanced course at Tel Aviv University, which presupposed fluency in speaking and writing. In 2019, my proficiency was ranked Advanced Plus in an ACTFL OPI+ exam. n 2022, I took emmersion’s WebCAPE Reading and Grammar Test; my proficiency was ranked C1, the test’s highest level.
- I am a fully proficient user of German. In 2019, my proficiency was ranked Advanced Low in an ACTFL OPI+. In 2022, I took emmersion’s TrueNorth Speaking Test and WebCAPE Reading and Grammar Test; my proficiency was ranked C1, or somewhere between Advanced High and Superior, the test’s highest level.
- I am a fully proficient user of Serbian. In 2018, my proficiency was ranked “bordering B2-C1” in an exam taken at Azbukun Center in Belgrade (and has improved since then). In addition, I have published and given interviews in Serbian.
- I am an advanced user of Turkish. I have taken advanced-level courses at Tel-Aviv University.
- I am an advanced user of Romanian. I have taken advanced-level courses at Tel Aviv University.
- I am an advanced user of Hungarian. I took an intermediate summer course at ELTE in 2018 and have continued with a private tutor to a C1 level. In addition, I have passed a translation exam from Hungarian at Yale.
- I am an advanced user of Greek. I have studied the language with a private tutor to a C1 level and taken additional classes in Katharevousa. In addition, I have passed a translation exam from Modern Greek at Yale.
- I am an advanced user of Ukrainian. I took an advanced-level course at the Ukrainian Catholic University in 2020. In addition, I have passed a translation exam from Ukrainian at Yale.
- I have a strong background in Slavic philology. I have passed translation exams at Yale in Slovene, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Serbo-Croat, Ukrainian, Polish, Czech, and Slovak. I can read texts written in all Slavic languages, and I have taught classes in comparative Slavic philology and reading Slavic languages for Russian learners.
- I have a strong background in Turkic philology. At Yale, I have passed translation exams in Ottoman Turkish and Uzbek. At Tel Aviv University, I have used Khakas and Yakut texts in a research paper. I have participated at a summer school for (Central Asian oriented) Turkologists at the Academy of Sciences in Vienna in 2019. I can read texts in all major Turkic languages, and I have taught courses in reading Turkic languages for Turkish learners.
- I am apt in reading Romance languages. I have passed Yale’s translation exams in French, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese.
- I can read Yiddish, and have passed Yale’s translation exam in that language.
- I can read Albanian, a language I have used in my dissertation research.
- I can read Persian, a language I have studied during my military service.
- I am currently learning Armenian, Georgian, and Mongolian.
Summary of Credentials
I have taken advanced-level courses or passed advanced-level exams in Arabic, Russian, German, Serbian, Turkish, and Ukrainian. Including private tuition, Modern Greek too.
At Yale, I have passed translation exams in Ukrainian, Arabic, Czech, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Serbo-Croaiant, Spanish, Turkish, Yiddish, Romanian, Hungarian, Bulgarian, Slovak, Ottoman Turkish, Slovene, Macedonian, Uzbek.
I have published in Hebrew, English, Russian, and Serbian (not including, of course, publications translated by others).